Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The language... ha ha

I'm coming up on my second Slovak final in about two weeks. There's so much information. I'm so swamped. I feel like I can't learn it all. I've been memorizing and memorizing. I also have the added pressure of being the number one student in my class.

First time ever, and I have to brag because I only half studied last time because I was having some weird stomach cramping for like 4 days before (one of the many, creepy Slovak illnesses), and came in practically on my knees to take the test. I think it distracted me just enough so I didn't get test anxiety. I was too worried about my pancreas or something. Milan was so worried that he waited in the car while I took it and delivered me to the doctor immediately after I finished. Top score in the class. Wouldn't ya know?

And here it's something they announce to the class. They announce everyone's grades. They're not private. So, now the teacher is watching me very closely. I can see. She's trying to decide how hard to make the test. It's also really tough because there's only one grade for the entire semester. I've never dealt with that or being number one before. So, I'm pretty nervous.

Slovak is hard, dude. I'm going to start reading though. My summer reading program is Anne of Green Gables and Matilda, in Slovak. I'm going to come back to school in the fall and blow everyone away. I'm going to try to do everything in Slovak all summer. Milan and I speak mostly English, and I'm going to start changing that. It's not like I can't talk, it's that I'm usually too tired.

There's a new Japanese girl in my class, Tsuyako, and I have to kick her ass. She's a ballerina and you know what that means: perfectionist. She and her husband got married the same time we did, and he's Slovak too. They only speak Slovak together. I don't know how they ever decided to get married. They can't even speak the same language. She's beautiful and sweet though. All she would have to do is look at him and he would melt. I'm much more competitive about school now than I ever was in high school or college. Kill, kill, kill.

I also should mention that every other English speaker in the class has dropped it, given up. I feel like in devastating the competition, I'm representing and showing that there may be a lot of dumb Americans etc, but the smart ones can still kick ANYONE's ass, Bulgaria, Austria, Egypt and Japan. I talk big.

I've got a train to catch.

2 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Blogger terese said...

Love that you're doing this, I do! Love, even more, writing that you are. Remember to send you the Somerset Maugham stories, I must. Nicely Czech backwards, I hope.

Terese

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Diana Groth Krasnansky said...

Lynn, just wanted to mention that I didn't come up with the perfectionist ballerina theory until after I worked for Capezio. So, you probably don't count... You do pretty well, but I don't think you hold yourself to unrealistic expectations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home